27/02/2011

A Week of Literary Celebration: LitBash 11


March 3 is the International Day of Writers. Celebrate by reading. Not sure what book to chose? Start with the writers who were born or died in the following week...

Born this week:

Montaigne, France
"In my opinion, every rich man is a miser."

Oskar Kokoschka, Austria
"Open your eyes at last and see...now I will open the book of the world for you,there are no words in it, just pictures."

Sholom Aleichem, Ukraine
Fiddler on the Roof was based on his stories.

John Irving, USA
"Writing a novel is actually searching for victims. As I write I keep looking for casualties. The stories uncover the casualties."

Alan Sillitoe, UK
"Government wars aren't my wars; they've got nowt to do with me, because my own war's all that I'll ever be bothered about."

Cyrano de Bergerac, France

"I think the Moon is a world like this one, and the Earth is its moon."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Colombia
"In the end all books are written for your friends. The problem after writing One Hundred Years of Solitude was that now I no longer know whom of the millions of readers I am writing for; this upsets and inhibits me. It's like a million eyes are looking at you and you don't really know what they think."

Died this week:

Henry James, USA
"It takes a great deal of history to produce a little literature."

D. H. Lawrence, UK

"Tragedy ought really to be a great kick at misery."

Philip K. Dick, USA
"Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night."

Pierre Benoit, France

"Marçais is a charming man and so distinguished! Charvet makes exclusive ties for him."

Marguerite Duras, France
"It's afterwards you realize that the feeling of happiness you had with a man didn't neccesarily prove that you loved him."

Amos Alcott, USA
"The richest minds need not large libraries."

Max Jacob, France
"When you get to the point where you cheat for the sake of beauty, you're an artist."

Henri Troyat, France
Author of over 100 books, many excellent biographies.

Louisa May Alcott, USA
"Women have been called queens for a long time, but the kingdom given them isn't worth ruling."

Ayn Rand, Russia
"I refuse to accept as guilt the fact of my own existence."

No comments:

Post a Comment