Wow! This is easily one of the best alcohols I've tasted in a long time.
It is said that walnut liquor is a miracle cure for heartburn and stomach pains caused by heavy meals. It was used for such medicinal purposes in ancient Poland.
Here's how we made it:
- 5 walnuts (must be still soft - before they ripen and turn hard)
- 1L of good quality vodka (45%)
- 1 tsp of sugar (optional)
- Add finely sliced walnuts to vodka. Cork and place aside in a dark place for about 5 weeks.
- You will notice that alcohol changed color to brown or dark brown.
- Pour alcohol through cheesecloth (or a paper coffee filter) to a separate bottle and cork it, leaving behind just enough to keep walnuts covered.
- Sprinkle walnuts with sugar and set aside for about 3 weeks. The result will be sweet syrup. Pour it through cheesecloth (or a paper coffee filter) to previously placed aside alcohol and stir.
- If color is very dark, add more alcohol until it turns nice amber (tastes better.)
- Cork and place in a dark place for 6 months or more. They say 1 year walnut liquor is best - I'll let you know when my second bottle is opened.